Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Will Microsoft's new display catch on?


The Microsoft Surface tabletop PC is straight out of the film "Minority Report." It looks really interesting.

But there's a catch... it requires large arm movements to manipulate the objects.

My mouse pad - in contrast - measures about 5" in diameter, and I don't even use 50% of that space. Micro-movements allow me to get the mouse pointer to any of my three 19" triple screens.

Will we get tired using the huge surface that Microsoft has developed, or will it just become an interesting way to exercise? Will the next generation of kids start looking like gorillas with overdeveloped arm and chest muscles?

I think not. But the Surface concept is exciting and innovative, and I'm looking forward to using it in the future.

Though I'm more interested in brainpower as a way to interact with a computer. Less effort - more promise. Surface is a step in the right direction.

No comments: